Sunday, August 10, 2008
Animal Facts and Fun
1. You thought you are the shortest member of your family? You are WRONG!!
This mammal was about 10 cms (~4 inches) in length and is considered to be your oldest relative (mammal). It lived 210 million year ago!
2. Do you claw your way to the finish line sometimes for a race??? - Guess what! Cheetahs always do because unlike other big cats their claws do not retract. It is used to grip the ground to reach high speed!
3. Have you heard of the idiom 'raining cats and dogs'? That does not happen, but it does rain frogs! In a small town in Serbia, it rained frogs!!
Belgrade climatologist Slavisa Ignjatovic described the phenomenon as "not very unusual".
"A wind resembling a tornado can suck in anything light enough from the surface or shallow water. Usually it is just dust, but sometimes also larger objects," Ignjatovic.
4. Are you one of the kids who smells anything and everything before you eat? Well Snakes have to! They smell with their tongues.
5. Have you tried to fly unsuccessfully? Sorry but birds are able to do that because they have hollow bones, so they are light enough and of course they have wings.